Heritage Plaques Program
The City of Vincent Heritage Plaques Program is a unique opportunity for anyone within the Communiy who would like to install a plaque or alterative form of interpretation to recognize and celebrate places of heritage interest in the City that are either still in situ or have since been demolished.
The first recipient of the City’s Heritage Plaques program, was the owner of the property on the corner of Stirling and Bulwer Street, which once housed the Premier Theatre and associated Gardens. The owners of this property chose a brass plaque to be installed in the footpath as per below. However applicants can select the type of plaque they would prefer and where it is located.
A minimum of 50 percent contribution to a maximum of $1,000 is available to community members wanting to install a heritage plaque in Vincent.
Left to right: Cr Josh Topelberg, Graham Norton (property owner and grant recipient), Mayor Hon. Alannah MacTiernan, Bill Foster (East Perth Football Club Historian) and Tory Young (City of Vincent)
Plaques have been installed in various locations around the City of Vincent including :
Blue Room Cabaret – 323 William Street, Northbridge (cnr Beaufort and Newcastle Streets)
The Interwar Art Deco building at No. 323 William Street, Northbridge was constructed in 1930. Situated on a prominent corner of William and Newcastle Street, it was the location of the popular dance venue known as the Blue Room Cabaret in the 1930s to 1950s.
Local residents recall that at the time, as the tram stopped on Newcastle Street and slowly turned the corner into William Street heading towards the City, you could hear bands playing old time music and watch couples gliding across the polished wooden floor to dances of the era such as the Waltz, the Quickstep and the Pride of Erin. Children who were too young to attend the dances would delight in standing outside the windows watching ladies in long dresses and men in suits and ties.
In the early years the building was also a popular venue for ethnic socials and weddings and later occupied an ice skating rink on the first floor. In the early 1950s the Midland Bus Company took over the building for use as their bus depot and more recently the building has been used for shops, offices and restaurants.
No.s 134 – 136 Summers Street, Perth
Summers Street was named after John Summers, a carriage maker and Perth City Councillor. This section of Summers Street was developed as part of the East Norwood Estate. The subdivision was carried out by the Perth (WA) Estate Company Limited and was a result of the population boom created by gold discoveries in the State.
The houses were first recorded on the 1898 City of Perth rate books, under the ownership of Mrs Eliza Gibbs, who had constructed five residences on her land. No.134 was occupied by Eliza and Stephen Gibbs and No.136 by Bernard Walkemeyer who operated a bakery on the opposite side of the street.
Early tenants of the bungalows included a successful publican and timber merchant, contractor, baker, police inspector and carpenter. The high frequency of turnover was fairly typical of the area and for many looking for work in the City, the bungalows were convenient temporary homes.
Charles and Newcastle Streets Intersection
The intersection of Charles and Newcastle Street was a well known thoroughfare in the 19th Century. With shops on all four corners of the intersection, locals described this area as a shopping hub that generated much interaction within the community for many years.
Oxford Hotel - 368 Oxford Street, Leederville
Constructed in the early 1900s in the Interwar Stripped Classical style of architecture, the Oxford Hotel is a long surviving landmark on a prominent location on Oxford Street in Leederville. It was the first hotel constructed in Leederville and is representative of the manner in which suburban hotels were consistently modified and adapted by well known architects to suit the changing needs of the hotel trade.
The building has been renovated several times, possibly accounting for its rather eclectic architecture appearance. Restoration of the hotel as we see it today commenced in the late 1990s. In 2004, the first floor of the hotel was completely renovated and the old guest accommodation rooms were transformed into a extensive function centre, including a lounge bar and balcony verandah.
Hotel Northbridge - 210 Lake Street, Perth
Hotel Northbridge (former Royal Standard Hotel) was constructed in 1897 as a Federation Queen Anne style hotel of the period. The hotel was built during the Gold Boom and the subsequent early suburban development north of Perth. The hotel has provided continuous hospitality services and accommodation since its establishment.
This boutique hotel is a valuable meeting place and social venue within the area. In 2008, the hotel received a four star rating and provides accommodation suites, bars, a restaurant, function room and boardroom.
Former Perth Hebrew Congregation Synagogue – Brisbane Street
The Synagogue was an imposing building and significant landmark in the area. The foundation stone was laid in 1895; the building constructed in 1896 with an adjoining Manse and row of cottages along Robinson Avenue and was consecrated in 1897. The Synagogue was designed by architect William Wolfe to accommodate 300 men and 50 women worshippers.
In 1903 extensions designed by prominent architect Harold Boas were undertaken to provide an additional 100 seats primarily for women. In1904 the building was reconsecrated. The Synagogue was the centre of Jewish communal life for over 80 years and was the venue for many celebrations such as weddings and communal events. The Jewish Community made a significant contribution to the wider general community as evident by the large numbers of Jewish volunteers in World War I and II and the many prominent doctors, lawyers and civic leaders. Rabbi D.I. Freedman, the first Rabbi of the congregation was Chaplain to the Australian forces in the First World War.
Further modifications were made to the building in 1928 to accommodate the growing congregation and by this time it became one of the largest Synagogues in Australia. The Building was demolished in 1975.
Ivy Park – Charles Street, West Perth
On the site, now known as Ivy Park, stood a basic four room bungalow built by convicts in the 1860s.
Difficulties encountered by the initial settlers of the Swan River Colony compelled them to accept help from the British by way of convict labour. Western Australia therefore became a penal colony in 1850 with a stream of convicts transported to Western Australia up until 1868. During this period, the convicts were involved in the construction of a significant amount of infrastructure in Perth.
The convict-built bungalow and two adjoining houses were demolished in the late 1990s to make way for the extension of Ivy Park.
Fronting Charles Street was a coral tree which shaded a horse trough, drinking fountain and saucer for dogs. The horse trough provided water for the many horses used by suppliers of all kinds including bakers, milkmen, icemen and vegetable sellers from the early 1900s until motorised transport became widely used and the need for horse and cart deliveries ceased.
Tower Hotel – West Perth
The Tower Hotel which stood on the corner of Charles and Aberdeen Street, West Perth was described by local residents as a magnificent building, way before its time for the area.
Built in 1896 the hotel, originally known as the Club Hotel, was designed by architect Sir Talbot Hobbs and was a significant landmark building of the area. As was custom at the time, it was initially leased by the Swan Brewery Pty Ltd and by 1920 was known as the Tower Hotel. Early proprietors included the McGrade and Keane families.
Northbridge residents of the 1920s to 1940s recollect the hotel providing a popular meeting venue for locals who stopped in for a drink or a game of billiards. They recall that the top floor of the hotel was never used, not even furnished so it was treated as a huge playroom for the local children from the nearby houses. The hotel provided meals and accommodation to businessmen and guests in its 40 guest rooms.
The hotel was demolished in the early 1970s to make way for the Mitchell Freeway.
Harris Scarfe and Sandovers Ltd. – Newcastel Street, West Perth
This is the site of the former furniture and hardware factory of Harris Scarfe and Sandovers Ltd., which occupied about two acres of floor space between Newcastle and Aberdeen streets. The original factory established in 1912 and operated as W. Sandover and Co. In 1923, it became Harris Scarfe and Sandovers Ltd.
Established and operated by brothers William and Alfred Sandover, the factory was run entirely with Western Australian capital. Alfred was prominent in the business, philanthropic and sporting life of Perth. He donated the Sandover medal which is presented annually to the fairest and best player in the WA Football League, as well as land from his Knutsford Estate to establish Christ Church Grammar School.
The factory manufactured a greater variety of goods than any other factory in the state. During operations, it employed local craftsman in wood, metal and fabrics to manufacture furniture of all classes, as well as other items such as tents, canvas goods, bedding and mattresses, wheel barrows, ice chests and refrigerators.
The business ceased operation at the West Perth factory in the late 1960s. It was demolished and redeveloped circa 1973 by City Motors.
Ormiston House – Palmerston Street (Robertson Park)
The foundation of Presbyterian Ladies’ College, Perth lies on the site of the former Ormiston House located in Robertson Park. Established in 1907, Ormiston College, later Presbyterian Ladies’ College relocated to its present Peppermint Grove address in 1917. In 2015 PLC celebrates 100 Years of Inspiring Women.
For further infomation on the City’s Heritage Plaques Program please contact the City’s Heritage Officer on 9273 6069.